Reactor Materials and Mechanical Design Group
The Reactor Materials and Mechanical Design (RMMD) group advances fundamental materials science and provides the scientific basis for fission and fusion reactor materials development, light water reactor life extension, safe storage of spent fuel, radiation detection, and design of materials and systems for extreme operating conditions. This group has expertise in the following areas:
- Multiscale modeling from density functional theory to the finite element method
- Advanced materials characterization: Aberration-corrected transmission electron microscopy, focused ion beam milling, scanning electron microscopy, atom probe tomography, and metallography
- Evaluation of stress corrosion cracking and corrosion susceptibility
- Mechanical testing and post-irradiation examination of materials
- Design, fabrication, and deployment of first of its kind electro-mechanical hardware and systems
- Robotics, automation, testing, and systems engineering.
RMMD is a world class materials science and mechanical engineering organization with 40+ highly qualified and experienced staff, including internationally recognized scientists and Fellows of Professional Societies, serving the needs of multiple clients.